(makes about six 8oz. jars, or three pint)
10 c. strawberries, stemmed and crushed
3 c. water, divided
1 strip lemon peel
2 ½ c. granulated sugar
3 ½ c. corn syrup
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1. In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine strawberries, 1 ½ c. of the water and lemon peel. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat and boil gently for 5 minutes.
2. Transfer to a dampened jelly bag or a strainer lined with several layers of cheesecloth set over a deep bowl. Let drip, undisturbed, for at least 2 hours.
3. Meanwhile, prepare canner, jars and lids.
4. In a clean large stainless steel saucepan, combine sugar and remaining 1½ cups water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar, and cook until temperature reaches 230 F, adjusting for altitude. Add strawberry juice and corn syrup. Increase heat to high, bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
5. Ladle hot syrup into hot jars, leaving ¼ in. headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.
Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.